Above is depicted Bernini’s sculpture of “David” as in “David and Goliath.” This statue changed my novel a lot. I knew I wanted to reference the musculature and body of Renaissance sculptors, but I mainly used ones I made up. Then on my honeymoon, I went to Rome, and every time I saw a piece of sculpture that made me literally stop, I would look up the artist and it was always Gian Lorenzo Bernini.For this reason, I wanted to use this piece in my book, but I just couldn’t figure out how.
Today, I wrote the chapter I had originally avoided, used the statue, and I think it works. If the section needs to be reworked/revised/cut later, I’ll live, but I feel a great sense of accomplishment for slaying my own personal demon. This is also exciting for me because it means I am actually ahead of my beta readers, and I’ve kind of stopped worrying about their feedback as much. Before I was hoping what I’d read about their feedback, would help me avoid those issues in the future. After 4 chapters, I kind of got used to what people felt worked/didn’t work, and so I’ve felt liberated this week to really just start banging through these things.
It is also true that my book is now 1\3rd edited and that means I’m officially through through the truly rough patch. At least, that’s what I think. The rest of the book was typed initially, so it is bound to have a lot of dumb errors, but it is also more likely to be a bit more polished. So I am looking forward to that. Chapter 9 also features my first skip in time, which was something I worried about a lot, but I think will be fine.
Anyway, just felt like sharing!
Word count: 91,644 (Chapter 8 basically had no text, so that is why it is longer now.)